Re: [tise-devel] tise 1.90alpha

Dear Grisha (et al),

I installed TISE_EWTS and it works nicely. Thanks for your efforts!

A few observations (made in WordXP and/or Editor):

EWTS "Sh(a)", "k(+)Sh(a)", "k(+)sh(a)", etc., do not work (yet).

I understand that you want to avoid "-" (the EWTS "invertor" symbol), apparently for simplicity sake, but since you allow other "dual approaches" or "shortcuts" (such as O for au, E for ai), why don't you also allow "strict" EWTS notations using "-"?

The "v" and "V" keys produce U+0115 in the beginning of a string (only in WordXP), or U+0F61/U+0FB1 when typed after a Tibetan letter. There are also another few key assignments (apparently, "leftovers" from the Dzongkha keyboard layout) àthat make no sense under EWTS. Why don't you assign special functions to these keys, or simply lock them so that unwanted output can be avoided?

TISE allows shiftlock which, when pressed inadvertently, results in random output. Can't you disallow shiftlock being pressed in Tibetan context?

Dual-switching between languages is a bit nasty when one needs to do it frequently, e.g., when writing wordlists with glosses. Wouldn't it be possible to use the same shortcut keys for switching TISE on/off that are used by the system language assigned to Tibetan (in my case, Tswana) or the default system language (in my case, German)? Or alternatively, can't you design an escape mode within TISE that allows typing shorter sequences of Latin or even Cyrillic/Mongolian text "in between"? This would be especially helpful if one needs to type Tibetan and "Latin" numeric symbols within one document. (In my Tibetan Direct Input keyboard, I used the Esc key for this function: pressing Esc once switches to Latin, twice switches to Cyrillic, and pressing Esc once again after the Latin/Cyrillic string has been typed switches back to Tibetan.)

Lastly, one problem that users of European hardware keyboards always have with Asian languages whose keyboard layouts are modeled after Kbd-US is locating symbols such as "+", "/", or parentheses, etc. (Not to forget inversed location of letters in QWERTZ or AZERTY keyboards!) It would be nice if you could consider "localized" versions of TISE_EWTS for certain European keyboards, in the long run.

Best regards,

Peter